Tuesday, July 14, 2020

Day 2: to DOUGLAS, WYOMING

I'll get right down to it, because I'm exhausted but in a good way:

1. Good sleep in Freddy last night.  Though a few mosquitoes got in before I could rig a bug net over the cargo hatch.  I think I'm developing an uncanny ability to hear the mosquito's pitch.  It can wake me from a sleep.  

2. My dad asked me today (as dad's do) if I'm doing any socializing.  I responded yes in that I met an airport guy who told me he flew for 25 years without a license.  Flew helicopters in Vietnam, then wanted to fly fixed wing aircraft when he returned home, so he bought a plane, and figured it out!  The airport folks are amazing!  Such a brotherhood!

3. I'm managing the mini Triscuits.

4.  Watching the landscape changing as I flew west made me think of what it must have been like for explorers to go west without knowing what was there!  Such adventure!  Then I imagined being on a new planet and seeing it from the air for the first time.  I would want to land everywhere to explore!  

5. I could have made it to Lander today, but I stopped to try to get to sleep early.  No one but me at the airport.  Now typing in the pilot's lounge where I'll sleep on a sofa.  I prefer to sleep in Freddy, but I'll probably sleep a bit better in here.  

6. Three flights today.  On the ground there is chaos - fueling, paying, record keeping, but in the air, things feel simple - I like it.  Made it under a cold front today and otherwise good progress.  Some turbulence the last flight that wasn't so fun, but all others were pretty smooth.  

7.  Less than two hundred miles to go!  Then into the mountains!

8.  I flew over some windy farmlands today (sustained at around 20 knots) and watching the wind blow through the fields was mesmerizing.  From the air, they looked like spirits or ghosts all heading in the same direction.  It was fascinating and otherworldly.  Perhaps there is a spirit convention somewhere.  

9.  That's all, thanks for reading! 

3 comments:

  1. Highly enjoyable Benno. How does one manage turbulence when flying a plane?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jake! I usually slow down a bit in turbulence so I don't over stress Freddy. I can also ask controllers if there's better air above or below my current altitude.

    ReplyDelete

NEW WEBSITE FOR THE BLOG!

Hello readers!   I'm switching blog hosting site to have more functionality, and because things are about to get interesting again with ...