Monday, November 15, 2010

Back on the Ice!

Ice!
More ice ! I love imagining Amundsen and Shackleton down here navigating their ships!

Pack ice! We're getting closer...

After a week of travel and trainings, I find myself back in McMurdo Station! Two and half days in Denver for OSHA trainings and general program orientation, a few hours in L.A. with brother Will at a funny comedy club, 13hours 10 minutes in an airplane flying over the Pacific, a day in a half in New Zealand for training and marveling at the most beautiful trees I have ever seen (Christchurch's Botanical Gardens) followed by this morning's 5 hour flight south and I am here.




It is wonderful to be back. Four years seem like nothing and I feel ready to pick up where I left off. Rumor has it, by joining the Antenna Rigger crew, I have one of the best jobs on the station, perhaps only second to helicopter pilot. I am in a small double room in building 210, though strangly there is noone else in the room right now. I thought I'd get put with at least one roomate! Probably tomorrow, someone will show up. I also have a window, which opens! That might take some getting used to, but I'm excited to have a little more space to play with this season.

I've met my team, they seem excellent, I think we're going to have a lot of fun while working hard. I'm scheduled to head out to Byrd field camp sometime in the next week or so. More to come soon!

4 comments:

  1. Have fun! send lots of fun video. wear some WM gear so I can post you on our facebook page! anyway we can send you a care package?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhh, wish I was there! Make sure you give Barb a hug from me! : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh, wish I was there. Give Barb a hug from me! : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ben! We looked at your blog today and have some questions for you. We hope you had a nice holiday and a great New Year's!

    It's Matthew, from TLC Randolph. It is Wed., Jan. 5, 2011 at 2:10 pm. Is it nighttime now in Antarctica?

    It's Soteris, from TLC Randolph. Do you see many penguins?

    It's Nathan, from TLC Randolph. Did you sleep in a tent?

    ReplyDelete

NEW WEBSITE FOR THE BLOG!

Hello readers!   I'm switching blog hosting site to have more functionality, and because things are about to get interesting again with ...