Friday, January 19, 2007

Pre-Marathon

This sunday, I will attempt, for the first time, to run a marathon, 26.2 miles. The run all on the ice shelf and starts near New Zealand's Scott Base, then runs out to Willy Field (where the ski-equipped C-130s take-off and land) then out to Pegasus Field (where the wheeled C-17s take-off and land) then back again. I spent a long day out there in a Pisten Bulley measuring the route and putting in flag mile markers (I was working for the Rec. department that day) so I'm happy to be very familiar with the route. I've been visualizing the race every night before drifting off to sleep. Well, not really, but i'm happy to have no questions about the route since I made it. The edge is mine...

Having never run a marathon before, I'm very much looking forward to it and am trying to get lots of rest and sleep this week. Ran for 3 hours and 20 minutes last sunday and now I've been taking it easy, trying to stay loose and doing lots of stretches. I'd love to finish under four hours, but it all depends on the snow conditions. If it's too warm, it could be slushy, too cold, and it could be slippery. We're all (15 of us) hoping that it stays cold and then warms up during the race. We shall see. Very much hoping most of all for no wind. That would be excellent, but again, we'll have to just wait and see.

That is all from McMurdo!

No comments:

Post a Comment

NEW WEBSITE FOR THE BLOG!

Hello readers!   I'm switching blog hosting site to have more functionality, and because things are about to get interesting again with ...